My words on a Times Square billboard
The alliance was sourcing donations so it could rent a billboard in Times Square to display a load of tweets with the hashtag BraveGirlsWant.
The good news is, they raised the $25,000 they needed to rent the billboard over seven days.
Like most crowd-funding campaigns, if you donated a substantial sum there were rewards.
I was one of the donors, and my reward was to have eight tweets displayed on the billboard – how cool is that?!
If you’re in Times Square between October 11 and 17, you can see the billboard in person. If not, here’s what I submitted:
1) #BraveGirlsWant to be valued for more than what they see in the mirror @sammyturnbull
2) #BraveGirlsWant to see bookshelves lined with more than just fairytales about damsels in distress @sammyturnbull
3) #BraveGirlsWant to enjoy their childhood. Stop rushing them. They will be adults soon enough. @sammyturnbull
4) #BraveGirlsWant choices – beyond pink, beyond princesses, beyond make-up, beyond fashion, beyond fairies @sammyturnbull
5) #BraveGirlsWant to never have to resort to the desperate antics of Miley Cyrus to get attention @sammyturnbull
6) #BraveGirlsWant to celebrate what their bodies can do – run, swim, climb, dance – not how they look @sammyturnbull
7) #BraveGirlsWant parents who don’t give in to the pink, princessy marketing machine – help your daughters be unique! @sammyturnbull
8) #BraveGirlsWant everything brave boys want. There’s no difference. The end. @sammyturnbull